If you are asking yourself why should I use Twitter? then this article may contain some answers for you. It may even persuade you to start using Twitter if you haven’t already.
If used sensibly, social media sites like Twitter can provide new communication opportunities of a business nature. Twitter is a communication website that allows you to post and read 140 character messages ‘tweets’. Tweets are immediate and current snippets of information.
You can tweet photos or share links to websites or articles of interest. You can tweet your blog updates. If you have anything interesting to say then Twitter is a good way to get your message out there. As you tweet your followers will see your tweets and in turn you can follow others to see what they are tweeting about. Conversations between you and another are seen by your mutual followers.
Examples of how you could tweet: You could try to create dialogue with followers, fellow creatives, ask for feedback, ask questions, create a community with people of similar interests, tweet up to date information, follow local tweeters, perhaps offer incentives for people to follow you through promotions.
You can search and follow other people and you can slowly build followers who enjoy your tweets. Unlike Facebook I do not know my Twitter followers personally and I’m pretty sure most of my followers don’t know me either but they know what I do, ie. Enamelling, cufflinks, jewellery.
10 benefits of Twitter
I have been using Twitter for 6 months now and here are 10 benefits I have found:
1. It’s free to set up a Twitter account.
2. You can opt to receive tweets straight to your mobile phone. Register your phone and you can tweet like a text message from your mobile phone.
3. I’ve discovered local and relevant galleries, shops, businesses and individuals to approach. As a result I’ve communicated with local businesses that I otherwise wouldn’t have.
4. I have connected with local, national and international designer makers / jewellers / enamellers who are doing similar things to me. We’ve exchanged feedback, information and advice.
5. I’ve found many people and businesses who’ve offered friendly useful advice or links to websites where I can read up on advice for business, websites, blogs, jewellery techniques etc.
6. There are many local and national journalists on Twitter. Interesting press releases and articles can be directed straight to them. My news has been included in several newsletters and publications as a result.
7. Members on Twitter will ‘retweet’ interesting information in tweets, in effect ‘spreading the word’. Many of my tweets have been retweeted reaching followers locally and globally.
8. I’ve found and am following local businesses that are of personal interest to me e.g. local purveyors of fine food, wine, chocolate, restaurants, green businesses, designers, photographers, illustrators to name but a few.
9. Over 6 months I have slowly built up my followers so now each of my tweets will reach 841 interested parties. I think this is a good thing.
10. I can see, in 6 short months, that using Twitter and other social media sites has improved my business.
The benefits listed in this article are from my personal experience only. They are not exclusive by any means. You may find more benefits than me and if you do I’d like to hear your stories.
I will follow this article (in the near future) with one on Twitter tips so please look out for that. If this has tweaked your Twitter interest then don’t miss out in future…
2. Follow me on Twitter.
3. Subscribe (top right on this page) for email updates.
4. Use the Networked Blogs app on Facebook.